Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My blog, redux

Growing up, I was labelled gifted academically. I had a difficult time relating to my mostly working-class family. I have thought previously it was no coincidence I chose the profession of the only college-educated member of my extended family (teaching). However, through inspection of my genogram and introspection of myself, I do not now believe that to be the case. As my father was in the military, we moved around alot, and I was not close to my extended family. I felt most at home in the comfort of performance at school. I appreciated the intelligence and interest of my teachers. Ultimately,I believe it is to them I owe my career choice as a teacher. Through my years of teaching and life-experience, I have taken an interest in social justice and feel I can better advocate for my students as a professional school counselor.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your genogram. I have experienced the power of positive teachers. My life genogram is like yours in the sense that I do not have educators in my family tree. There have been several teachers who have influenced me to become a teacher. I guess the lesson is that sometimes teachers and counselors can be life changing to their students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always said I would never be a teacher. Never say never! I have educators in my family but most of them were the main reason I was against teaching. They were so mean. I had three former English teachers that left a lasting impression on me. I run into them from time to time and I thank them for building the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to be a coach and was greatly influenced by my coach in junior high. I did have a couple of educators in my ancestory, but they were actually further back than my grandparents. I, too, felt most comfortable at school, so perhaps that is one reason I chose teaching. I had not thought about that being an influence in my decision before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda. I am a colleague of yours from Lamar University. My genogram showed no teachers in my family either. I am not sure when I starting wanting to be a teacher, and ultimately a counselor. Many teachers influenced my life also. Maybe I, too, gained knowledge from those teachers that influenced me. ~Cami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reflection. Isn't it wonderful that you did have the 'school family' motivate you to become the educators you are. Yes, we so need counselor educator advocates! Thanks, Dr. H

    ReplyDelete